Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, May 31, 2022:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 77. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 59. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming southeast after midnight.
Highs are forecast to rise into the low 80s for several days before dropping back into the mid 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1819 Birth of Walt Whitman, American poet.
- 1862 At the Battle of Fair Oaks, Union General George B. McClellan defeats Confederates outside of Richmond.
- 1879 New York’s Madison Square Garden opens its doors for the first time.
- 1889 Johnstown, Pennsylvania is destroyed by a massive flood.
- 1894 Birth of Fred Allen [John Florence Sullivan], American comedian.
- 1898 Birth of Norman Vincent Peale, American religious leader.
- 1900 U.S. troops arrive in Peking to help put down the Boxer Rebellion.
- 1909 The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) holds its first conference.
- 1913 The 17th amendment to the U.S. Constitution, providing for direct election of senators, is ratified.
- 1928 The first flight over the Pacific takes off from Oakland.
- 1955 The Supreme Court orders that states must end racial segregation “with all deliberate speed.”
- 1969 John Lennon and Yoko Ono record “Give Peace a Chance.”
- 1988 President Ronald Reagan arrives in Moscow, the first American president to do so in 14 years.