Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, June 5, 2022:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 77. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs will see a gradual rise into the 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1637 American settlers in New England massacre a Pequot Indian village.
- 1794 The U.S. Congress prohibits citizens from serving in any foreign armed forces.
- 1851 Harriet Beecher Stowe publishes the first installment of Uncle Tom’s Cabin in The National Era.
- 1856 U.S. Army troops in the Four creeks region of California, head back to quarters, officially ending the Tule River War. Fighting, however, will continue for a few more years.
- 1863 The Confederate raider CSS Alabama captures the Talisman in the Mid-Atlantic.
- 1872 The Republican National Convention, the first major political party convention to include blacks, commences.
- 1880 Wild woman of the west Myra Maybelle Shirley marries Sam Starr even though records show she was already married to Bruce Younger.
- 1947 Secretary of State George C. Marshall outlines “The Marshall Plan,” a program intended to assist European nations, including former enemies, to rebuild their economies.
- 1968 Sirhan Sirhan shoots Democratic presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy after Kennedy’s victory in the pivotal California primary election.
- 1973 Doris A. Davis becomes the first African-American woman to govern a city in a major metropolitan area when she is elected mayor of Compton, California.
- 2004 Former U.S. President Ronald Reagan dies at age 93. Reagan was the 40th president of the United States.