Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, June 6, 2022:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 77. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 63. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs will see a gradual rise into the 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1755 Birth of Nathan Hale, American revolutionary.
- 1756 Birth of John Trumbull, American painter.
- 1813 The United States invasion of Canada is halted at Stony Creek, Ontario.
- 1862 The city of Memphis surrenders to the Union navy after an intense naval engagement on the Mississippi River.
- 1865 Confederate raider William Quantrill dies from a wound received while escaping a Union patrol near Taylorsville, Kentucky.
- 1918 U.S. Marines enter combat at the Battle of Belleau Wood.
- 1924 The German Reichstag accepts the Dawes Plan, an American plan to help Germany pay off its war debts.
- 1930 Frozen foods are sold commercially for the first time.
- 1934 President Franklin Roosevelt signs the Securities Exchange Act, establishing the Securities and Exchange Commission.
- 1934 Birth of Bill Moyers, American broadcast journalist, press secretary to President Lyndon Johnson.
- 1941 The U.S. government authorizes the seizure of foreign ships in U.S. ports.
- 1944 D-Day: Operation Overlord lands 400,000 Allied American, British, and Canadian troops on the beaches of Normandy in German-occupied France.
- 1966 African American James Meredith is shot and wounded while on a solo march in Mississippi to promote voter registration among blacks.