The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department will have extra deputies on patrol Saturday, June 11th from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. looking specifically for violations made by drivers and motorcycle riders
The top primary crash factors for motorcycles are unsafe speed, improper turning, right-of-way violations, driving under the influence and unsafe lane changes. Speeding is the most common, accounting for nearly a third of all crashes in the state.
To help protect you and your family, keep the following tips in mind while driving or riding:
- Always check twice for motorcycles in your mirrors and blind spots.
- Use your signal when changing lanes.
- Never follow a motorcycle too closely. Always keep a safe distance.
- When at an intersection, allow enough space before turning.
- Always wear a lane splitting is legal, the practice is not encouraged at high speeds in free-flowing traffic.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department will hold other motorcycle safety enforcement operations throughout the month of June.
Funding for this program is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.