Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, June 10, 2022:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 83. Light southwest wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 65. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the low to mid 80s until at least the middle of next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1692 Bridget Bishop is hanged in Salem, Mass., for witchcraft.
- 1735 Birth of John Morgan, physician-in-chief of the American Continental Army.
- 1776 The Continental Congress appoints a committee to write a Declaration of Independence.
- 1801 Tripoli declares war on the U.S. for refusing to pay tribute.
- 1854 The U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, holds its first graduation.
- 1861 Dorothea Dix is appointed superintendent of female nurses for the Union army.
- 1864 At the Battle of Brice’s Crossroads in Mississippi, Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest defeats the numerically superior Union troops.
- 1895 Birth of Hattie McDaniel, African-American actress.
- 1898 U.S. Marines land in Cuba.
- 1901 Birth of Frederick Loewe, songwriter.
- 1915 Birth of Saul Bellow, American novelist (Herzog, Humboldt’s Gift).
- 1920 The Republican convention in Chicago endorses women’s suffrage.
- 1922 Birth of Judy Garland (Frances Ethel Gumm), American actress and singer (The Wizard of Oz, Easter Parade).
- 1925 Tennessee adopts a new biology text book denying the theory of evolution.
- 1944 The U.S. VII and V corps, advancing from Normandy’s beaches, link up and begin moving inland.
- 1948 The news that the sound barrier has been broken is finally released to the public by the U.S. Air Force. Chuck Yeager, piloting the rocket airplane X-1, exceeded the speed of sound on October 14, 1947.
- 1970 A 15-man group of special forces troops begin training for Operation Kingpin, a POW rescue mission in North Vietnam.