Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, June 12, 2022:
Cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 80. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the morning.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, increasing clouds, with a low around 65. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the low to mid 80s until at least the middle of the week before gradually dropping off into the 70s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1806 Birth of John Roebling, civil engineer, pioneer in designing suspension bridges.
- 1849 The gas mask is patented by Lewis P. Haslett.
- 1862 Confederate General J. E. B. Stuart begins his ride around the Union Army outside of Richmond, Virginia.
- 1901 Cuba agrees to become an American protectorate by accepting the Platt Amendment.
- 1915 Birth of David Rockefeller, international banker.
- 1918 The first airplane bombing raid by an American unit occurs in France.
- 1920 Republicans nominate Warren G. Harding for president and Calvin Coolidge for vice president.
- 1921 President Warren Harding urges every young man to attend military training camp.
- 1924 Birth of George H. W. Bush, 41st President of the United States (1989-1993).
- 1931 Gangster Al Capone and 68 of his henchmen are indicted for violating Prohibition laws.
- 1942 American bombers strike the oil refineries of Ploesti, Romania for the first time.
- 1963 Black civil rights leader Medgar Evers is assassinated by a gunman outside his home in Jackson, Mississippi.
- 1967 The Supreme Court rules that states cannot ban interracial marriages.
- 1972 At a hearing in front the of a U.S. House of Representatives committee, Air Force General John Lavalle defends his orders on engagement in Vietnam.
- 1977 David Berkowitz gets 25 years to life for the Son of Sam murders in New York.
- 1985 The U.S. House of Representatives approves $27 million in aid to the Nicaraguan Contras.