Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, June 29, 2022:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 83. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 65. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light after midnight.
Highs are forecast to drop sharply into the upper 70s, remaining fairly level for the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1652 Massachusetts declares itself an independent commonwealth.
- 1767 The British parliament passes the Townshend Revenue Act, levying taxes on America.
- 1858 Birth of George Washington Goethals, engineer of the Panama Canal.
- 1861 Birth of William James Mayo, co-founder of the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.
- 1862 Union forces, falling back from Richmond, fight at the Battle of Savage’s Station.
- 1865 Birth of William E. Borah, Republican senator from Idaho, opponent of the League of Nations.
- 1886 Birth of James Van Der Zee, African-American photographer.
- 1925 An earthquake ravages Santa Barbara, California.
- 1938 Mesa Verde National Park, Colorado, and Olympic National Park, Washington, are founded.
- 1950 President Harry S. Truman authorizes a sea blockade of Korea.
- 1951 The United States invites the Soviet Union to the Korean peace talks on a ship in Wonsan Harbor.
- 1966 The U.S. Air Force bombs fuel storage facilities near Hanoi, North Vietnam.
- 1970 U.S. troops pull out of Cambodia.