Airline passenger traffic at John Wayne Airport increased in May 2022 as compared to May 2021. In May 2022, the Airport served 1,003,510 passengers, an increase of 71.3% when compared with the May 2021 passenger traffic count of 585,735.
- Compared to 82,342 passengers in May 2020, there was an increase of 1,118.7%.
- Compared to 942,680 passengers in May 2019, there was an increase of 6.5%.
Commercial aircraft operations in May 2022 of 8,284 increased 47.2% and commuter aircraft operations of 514 increased 5.8% when comparing with May 2021 levels.
- Compared to 2020 levels of commercial aircraft operations, there was an increase of 375.5% and commuter aircraft operations increased 283.6%.
- Compared to 2019 levels of commercial aircraft operations there was an increase of 4.5% and commuter aircraft operations increased 2.8%.
Total aircraft operations decreased in May 2022 as compared with the same month in 2021. In May 2022, there were 25,126 total aircraft operations (takeoffs and landings) an 8.9% decrease compared to 27,591 total aircraft operations in May 2021.
- Compared to May 2020 of 17,352, total aircraft operations increased 44.8%.
- Compared to May 2019 of 26,509, total aircraft operations decreased 5.2%.
General aviation activity of 16,307 accounted for 64.9% of the total aircraft operations during May 2022, and decreased 23.9% compared with May 2021.
- Compared to May 2020 general aviation activity of 15,392, which accounted for 88.7% of total aircraft operations, operations increased 5.9%.
- Compared to May 2019, general aviation activity of 18,000, which accounted for 67.9% of total aircraft operations, operations decreased 9.4%.
The top three airlines in May 2022 based on passenger count were Southwest Airlines (357,190), United Airlines (166,766) and American Airlines (155,900).