Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, August 10, 2022:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 92. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 70. West wind around 5 mph becoming south after midnight.
Highs temperatures are expected to remain in the upper 80s to low 90s until the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1753 Birth of Edmund Jennings Randolph, governor of Virginia and first U.S. attorney general.
- 1831 William Driver of Salem, Massachusetts, is the first to use the term “Old Glory” in connection with the American flag, when he gives that name to a large flag aboard his ship, the Charles Daggett.
- 1846 The Smithsonian Institution is established in Washington through the bequest of James Smithson.
- 1864 Confederate Commander John Bell Hood sends his cavalry north of Atlanta to cut off Union General William Sherman’s supply lines.
- 1874 Birth of Herbert Hoover, 31st president of the United States (1929-1933).
- 1909 Birth of Leo Fender, inventor of the first mass-produced electric guitar.
- 1909 Birth of George W. Crockett, first African-American lawyer with the U.S. Department of Labor.
- 1928 Birth of Jimmy Dean, singer, actor, TV host and businessman.
- 1928 Birth of Eddie Fisher, American singer.
- 1949 National Military Establishment renamed Department of Defense.
- 1950 President Harry S. Truman calls the National Guard to active duty to fight in the Korean War.
- 1954 The groundbreaking ceremony for the St. Lawrence Seaway is held at Massena, New York.
- 1960 NASA launches Discoverer 13 satellite; it would become the first object ever recovered from orbit.
- 1970 Rocker Jim Morrison tried in Miami on “lewd & lascivious behavior.” Although convicted and sentenced to jail, he was free on bond while his case was being appealed when he dies in Paris, July 3, 1971.
- 1975 David Frost purchases the exclusive rights to interview Richard Nixon.
- 1977 US and Panama sign Panama Canal Zone accord, guaranteeing Panama would have control of the canal after 1999.