Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, August 13, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 88. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 69. Southeast wind around 5 mph.
Highs are forecast to drop very gradually over the next week into the mid-80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1680 War starts when the Spanish are expelled from Santa Fe, New Mexico, by Indians under Chief Pope.
- 1860 Birth of Phoebe Anne Moses, later known as Annie Oakley, a sharpshooter and entertainer.
- 1862 Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest defeats a Union army under Thomas Crittenden at Murfreesboro, Tennessee.
- 1881 The first African-American nursing school opens at Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia.
- 1889 The first coin-operated telephone is patented by William Gray.
- 1892 The first issue of the Afro American newspaper is published in Baltimore, Maryland.
- 1898 Manila, the capital of the Philippines, falls to the U.S. Army.
- 1912 Birth of Ben Hogan, American golfer.
- 1933 Birth of Jocelyn Elders, first African American US Surgeon General (Sept 1993–Dec 1994).
- 1948 During the Berlin Airlift, the weather over Berlin becomes so stormy that American planes have their most difficult day landing supplies. They deem it ‘Black Friday.’
- 1989 The wreckage of a plane that carried U.S. congressman Mickey Leland and others on a humanitarian mission is found on a mountain side in Ethiopia; there are no survivors.
- 1993 US Court of Appeals rules Congress must save all emails.