Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, August 16, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 89. Light south wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 69. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.
Highs are forecast to start to drop near the end of the week, with lows remaining in the upper 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1780 American troops are badly defeated by the British at the Battle of Camden, South Carolina.
- 1812 American General William Hull surrenders Detroit without resistance to a smaller British force under General Issac Brock.
- 1858 U.S. President James Buchanan and Britain’s Queen Victoria exchange messages inaugurating the first transatlantic telegraph line.
- 1861 Union and Confederate forces clash near Fredericktown and Kirkville, Missouri.
- 1863 Union General William S. Rosecrans moves his army south from Tullahoma, Tennessee to attack Confederate forces in Chattanooga.
- 1945 Lieutenant General Jonathan Wainwright, who was taken prisoner by the Japanese on Corregidor on May 6, 1942, is released from a POW camp in Manchuria by U.S. troops.
- 1965 The Watts riots end in south-central Los Angeles after six days.
- 1977 Elvis Presley dies of a heart attack in the upstairs bedroom suite area of his Graceland Mansion in Memphis, Tennessee.
- 1988 IBM introduces artificial intelligence software.
- 1990 Iraq orders 2,500 Americans and 4,000 British nationals in Kuwait to Iraq, in the aftermath of Iraq’s invasion of that country.