Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, August 19, 2022:
Patchy fog before 8am. Otherwise, sunny, with a high near 84. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 67. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs are forecast to start to remain in the lower 80s for several days before rising back into the upper 80s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1692 Five women are hanged in Salem, Massachusetts after being convicted of the crime of witchcraft. Fourteen more people are executed that year and 150 others are imprisoned.
- 1779 Americans under Major Henry Lee take the British garrison at Paulus Hook, New Jersey.
- 1812 The USS Constitution earns the nickname “Old Ironsides” during the battle off Nova Scotia that saw her defeat the HMS Guerriere.
- 1870 Birth of Bernard Baruch, U.S. representative to the U.N. Atomic Energy Commission.
- 1871 Birth of Orville Wright, aviation pioneer.
- 1921 Birth of Gene Roddenberry, television writer and producer, best known for the series Star Trek.
- 1942 Birth of Fred Thompson, US Senator (R-Tenn); minority counsel on Senate Watergate Committee, lobbyist; actor (Law and Order).
- 1945 Birth of William Jefferson “Bill” Clinton, 42nd President of the United States (1993-2001); first president from the Baby Boomer generation.
- 1950 Edith Sampson becomes the first African-American representative to the United Nations.
- 1957 The first balloon flight to exceed 100,000 feet takes off from Crosby, Minnesota.
- 1965 US forces destroy a Viet Cong stronghold near Van Tuong, in South Vietnam.
- 1974 US Ambassador to Cyrus Rodger P. Davies assassinated by a sniper of Greek Cypriot paramilitary group EOKA-B during a demonstration outside the embassy in Nicosia.
- 1976 Gerald R Ford, who had become President of the United States after Richard Nixon resigned, wins Republican Party’s presidential nomination at Kansas City convention.
- 2004 Google Inc. stock begins selling on the Nasdaq Stock Market, with an initial price of $85; the stock ended the day at $100.34 with more than 22 million shares traded.
- 2010 Operation Iraqi Freedom ends; the last US combat brigade, 4th Stryker Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, leaves the country. Six brigades remain to train Iraqi troops.