Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, August 23, 2022:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 85. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 68. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southeast after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Highs are forecast to rise back into the mid-upper 80s for the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1775 King George III of England refuses the American colonies’ offer of peace and declares them in open rebellion.
- 1863 Union batteries cease their first bombardment of Fort Sumter, leaving it a mass of rubble but still unconquered by the Northern besiegers.
- 1883 Birth of Jonathan Wainwright, U.S. general who fought against the Japanese on Corregidor in the Philippines and was forced to surrender.
- 1900 Booker T. Washington forms the National Negro Business League in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1902 Fanny Farmer, among the first to emphasize the relationship of diet to health, opens her School of Cookery in Boston.
- 1912 Birth of Gene Kelly, dancer, choreographer and actor.
- 1926 American film star Rudolph Valentino dies, causing world-wide hysteria and a number of suicides.
- 1927 Immigrant laborers Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti are executed for a robbery they did not commit. Fifty years later, in
- 1977, Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis establishes a memorial in the victims’ honor.
- 1950 Up to 77,000 members of the U.S. Army Organized Reserve Corps are called involuntarily to active duty to fight the Korean War.
- 1954 First flight of the C-130 Hercules transport aircraft.
- 1966 Lunar Orbiter 1 takes first photograph of Earth from the moon.
- 1979 Bolshoi Ballet dancer Alexander Godunov defects in New York City.
- 1996 Osama bin Laden issues message entitled “A declaration of war against the Americans occupying the land of the two holy places.”
- 2011 A 5.8 earthquake centered at Mineral, Virginia, damages the Washington Monument, forcing the landmark to close for repairs.