Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, August 29, 2022:
Mostly cloudy through mid morning, then gradual clearing, with a high near 83. Light west wind increasing to 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 68. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light in the evening.
Highs are forecast to rise sharply into the 90s around the middle of the week and remain there until at least next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1676 Indian chief King Philip, also known as Metacom, is killed by English soldiers, ending the war between Indians and colonists.
- 1774 Birth of Elizabeth Ann Seton, founder of the Sisters of St. Joseph and the first U.S.-born saint.
- 1862 Mistakenly believing the Confederate Army to be in retreat, Union General John Pope attacks, beginning the Battle of Groveton. Both sides sustain heavy casualties.
- 1882 Birth of Belle Benchley, the first female zoo director in the world, who directed the Zoological Gardens of San Diego.
- 1938 The first degree given to a ventriloquist’s dummy is awarded to Charlie McCarthy–Edgar Bergen’s wooden partner. The honorary degree, “Master of Innuendo and Snappy Comeback,” is presented on radio by Ralph Dennis, the dean of the School of Speech at Northwestern University.
- 1963 One of the largest demonstrations in the history of the United States, the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, takes place and reaches its climax at the base of the Lincoln Memorial when Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. delivers his “I have a dream” speech.
- 1965 The Viet Cong are routed in the Mekong Delta by U.S. forces, with more than 50 killed.
- 1968 Clash between police and anti-war demonstrators during Democratic Party’s National Convention in Chicago.
- 1981 John Hinckley Jr. pleads innocent to attempting to assassinate Pres. Ronald Reagan.
- 1982 First Gay Games held, in San Francisco.
- 1986 US Navy officer Jerry A. Whitworth given 365-year prison term for spying for USSR.
- 2005 Hurricane Katrina reaches Category 5 strength; Louisiana Superdome opened as a “refuge of last resort” in New Orleans.
- 2012 US Republican convention nominates Mitt Romney as the party’s presidential candidate.