Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, September 3, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 101. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 77. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east in the evening.
Highs are forecast to remain very warm to hot until at least next week, very gradually dropping over the course of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1777 The American flag (stars & stripes), approved by Congress on June 14th, is carried into battle for the first time by a force under General William Maxwell.
- 1783 The Treaty of Paris is signed by Great Britain and the new United States, formally bringing the American Revolution to an end.
- 1838 Frederick Douglass escapes slavery disguised as a sailor. He would later write The Narrative Life of Frederick Douglass, his memoirs about slave life.
- 1855 General William Harney defeats Little Thunder’s Brule Sioux at the Battle of Blue Water in Nebraska.
- 1856 Birth of Louis H. Sullivan, architect who gained fame for his design of the Chicago Auditorium Theater.
- 1895 The first professional American football game is played in Latrobe, Pennsylvania between the Latrobe Young Men’s Christian Association and the Jeannette Athletic Club. Latrobe wins 12-0.
- 1939 The British passenger ship Athenia is sunk by a German submarine in the Atlantic, with 30 Americans among those killed. American Secretary of State Cordell Hull warns Americans to avoid travel to Europe unless absolutely necessary.
- 1944 The U.S. Seventh Army captures Lyons, France.
- 1945 General Tomoyuki Yamashita, the Japanese commander of the Philippines, surrenders to Lieutenant General Jonathan Wainwright at Baguio.
- 1976 The unmanned US spacecraft Viking 2 lands on Mars, takes first close-up, color photos of the planet’s surface.
- 1989 US begins shipping military aircraft and weapons to Columbia for use against that country’s drug lords.