87% of people think they should get a raise to keep up with inflation, the personal-finance website WalletHub found in its Labor Day Survey. This nationally-representative survey examines Americans’ Labor Day plans and how people have been impacted the current economic environment. Alongside this survey, WalletHub also released its Labor Day Fun Facts report to educate and entertain consumers with stats on all aspects of the holiday – from hotdogs and history to financials and 5Ks. You can find highlights from each below, along with a Q&A with WalletHub analyst Jill Gonzalez.
Labor Day Survey
- Consumers plan to shop more. 23% more people plan to go shopping over Labor Day this year than last year.
- Many people are concerned about monkeypox. 40% of people think monkeypox will have a negative effect on the economy.
- Gas prices are impacting Labor Day travel. 44% of people say they’re less likely to travel this Labor Day weekend due to high gas prices, compared to last year.
- Many people have started working harder. 55% of people say they’ve worked harder since the pandemic began.
- Cost dominates Labor Day travel concerns. The biggest concern about Labor Day travel this year is cost (48%), followed by traffic (26%) and car accidents (12%).
Labor Day Fun Facts
- 75% of Americans left vacation days unused in 2021.
- 61% of remote workers find it more difficult to unplug during off-hours now than before the pandemic.
- 818 hot dogs are eaten every second from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
- More than 647,000 workers’ lives have been saved since the Occupational Safety and Health Act was enacted in 1970.
- $176+ Billion is the annual cost of worker injury and illness in the U.S.
To view the full survey: https://wallethub.com/blog/labor-day-spending-survey/39381
To view the Fun Facts report: https://wallethub.com/blog/labor-day-fun-facts/23742