Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, September 7, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 100. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 73. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs and lows are forecast to remain hot until the end of the week, dropping sharply on Saturday with a chance of thunderstorms over the weekend.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1630 The town of Trimountaine in Massachusetts is renamed Boston. It became the state capital.
- 1778 Shawnee Indians attack and lay siege to Boonesborough, Kentucky.
- 1813 The earliest known printed reference to the United States by the nickname “Uncle Sam” occurs in the Troy Post.
- 1864 Union General Phil Sheridan’s troops skirmish with the Confederates under Jubal Early outside Winchester, Virginia.
- 1876 The James-Younger gang botches an attempt to rob the First National Bank of Northfield, Minnesota.
- 1888 An incubator is used for the first time on a premature infant.
- 1892 The first heavyweight-title boxing match fought with gloves under Marquis of Queensbury rules ends when James J. Corbett knocks out John L. Sullivan in the 21st round.
- 1916 The U.S. Congress passes the Workman’s Compensation Act.
- 1936 Birth of Buddy Holly, singer, songwriter, rock ‘n roll pioneer.
- 1954 Integration of public schools begins in Washington D.C. and Maryland.
- 1965 Pro Football Hall of Fame opens in Canton, Ohio.
- 1970 Jockey Bill Shoemaker earns 6,033rd win, breaking Johnny Longden’s record for most lifetime wins; Shoemaker’s record would stand for 29 years.
- 1977 Panama and US sign Torrijos-Carter Treaties to transfer control of the Panama Canal from the US to Panama at the end of the 20th century.
- 1979 ESPN, the Entertainment and Sports Programing Network, debuts.
- 2008 US Government assumes conservatorship of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the country’s two largest mortgage financing companies, during the subprime mortgage crisis.