Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, September 9, 2022:
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 98. Breezy, with an east wind 5 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
A chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 80. Windy, with an east wind 25 to 30 mph becoming southeast 15 to 20 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
Highs are forecast to drop sharply on Saturday with a chance of thunderstorms over the weekend. Highs are expected to stay in the low 80s for much of next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1776 The term “United States” is adopted by the Continental Congress to be used instead of the “United Colonies.”
- 1786 George Washington calls for the abolition of slavery.
- 1850 California, in the midst of a gold rush, enters the Union as the 31st state.
- 1863 The Union Army of the Cumberland passes through Chattanooga as they chase after the retreating Confederates. The Union troops will soon be repulsed at the Battle of Chickamauga.
- 1887 Birth of Alfred M. Landon, Republican governor of Kansas who carried only two states in his overwhelming defeat for the presidency by Franklin Roosevelt in 1936.
- 1890 Birth of Colonel Harland Sanders, originator of Kentucky Fried Chicken fast-food restaurants.
- 1926 The Radio Corporation of America creates the National Broadcasting Co.
- 1942 A Japanese float plane, launched from a submarine, makes its first bombing run on a U.S. forest near Brookings, Oregon.
- 1956 Elvis Presley makes his first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show; cameras focus on his upper torso and legs to avoid showing his pelvis gyrations, which many Americans—including Ed Sullivan—thought unfit for a family show.
- 1965 US Department of Housing and Urban Development established.
- 1965 Hurricane Betsy, the first hurricane to exceed $1 billion in damages (unadjusted), makes its second landfall, near New Orleans.
- 1970 U.S. Marines launch Operation Dubois Square, a 10-day search for North Vietnamese troops near Da Nang.
- 1971 Attica Prison Riot; the 4-day riot leaves 39 dead.