Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, September 10, 2022:
Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 85. East wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 73. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Highs are expected to stay in the low 80s for much of next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1623 Lumber and furs are the first cargo to leave New Plymouth in North America for England.
- 1813 The nine-ship American flotilla under Oliver Hazard Perry wrests naval supremacy from the British on Lake Erie by capturing or destroying a force of six English vessels.
- 1846 Elias Howe patents the first practical sewing machine in the United States.
- 1847 Birth of John Roy Lynch, first African American to deliver the keynote address at a Republican National Convention.
- 1861 Confederates at Carnifex Ferry, Virginia, fall back after being attacked by Union troops. The action is instrumental in helping preserve western Virginia for the Union.
- 1929 Birth of Arnold Palmer, golfer who won four Masters, two British Opens and one U.S. Open.
- 1963 President John F. Kennedy federalizes Alabama’s National Guard to prevent Governor George C. Wallace from using guardsmen to stop public-school desegregation.