Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, September 12, 2022:
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 85. West wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Patchy fog after 11pm. Otherwise, partly cloudy, with a low around 70. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light southwest in the evening.
Highs are expected to stay in the low 80s for much of next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1609 Henry Hudson sails into what is now New York Harbor aboard his sloop Half Moon.
- 1662 Governor Berkley of Virginia is denied his attempts to repeal the Navigation Acts.
- 1880 Birth of Henry L. Mencken, journalist and iconoclast known as the “Sage of Baltimore.”
- 1892 Birth of Alfred A. Knopf, American publisher.
- 1910 Birth of Alexander D. Langmuir, epidemiologist, created and led the U.S. Epidemic Intelligence Service.
- 1913 Birth of Jesse Owens, track and field athlete who won four medals at the Berlin Olympics in 1936.
- 1944 American troops fight their way into Germany.
- 1969 President Richard Nixon orders a resumption in bombing North Vietnam.
- 1992 Space Shuttle Endeavor takes off on NASA’s 50th shuttle mission; its crew includes the first African-American woman in space, the first married couple, and the first Japanese citizen to fly in a US spacecraft.
- 2011 In New York City, the 9/11 Memorial Museum opens to the public.