Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, September 14, 2022:
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 80. South wind 5 to 10 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 65. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south after midnight.
Highs are expected to stay in the low 80s for much of next week, with lows dropping into the lower 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1814 Francis Scott Key writes the words to the “Star Spangled Banner” as he waits aboard a British launch in the Chesapeake Bay for the outcome of the British assault on Fort McHenry during the War of 1812.
- 1847 U.S. forces under Gen. Winfield Scott capture Mexico City, virtually bringing the two-year Mexican War to a close.
- 1860 Birth of Hamlin Garland, author who wrote about the Midwest in novels such as A Son of the Middle Border and The Book of the American Indian.
- 1862 At the battles of South Mountain and Crampton’s Gap, Maryland Union troops smash into the Confederates as they close in on what will become the Antietam battleground.
- 1879 Birth of Margaret Sanger, birth-control advocate and founder of Planned Parenthood.
- 1901 Vice President Theodore Roosevelt is sworn in as the 26th President of the United States upon the death of William McKinley, who was shot eight days earlier.
- 1921 Birth of Constance Baker Motley, first African-American woman to be appointed a federal judge.
- 1936 Birth of Ferid Murad, Albanian-American physician and pharmacologist, is co-winner of Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his research on nitroglycerin’s effects the cardiovascular system.
- 1966 Operation Attleboro, designed as a training exercise for American troops, becomes a month-long struggle against the Viet Cong.
- 1975 Mother Elizabeth Ann Seton becomes the first native-born American saint in the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1984 Joe Kittinger, a former USAF fighter pilot during the Vietnam War, becomes the first person to pilot a gas balloon solo across the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1994 Major League Baseball players strike over a salary cap and other proposed changes, forcing the cancellation of the entire postseason and the World Series.