Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, September 19, 2022:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, mostly sunny, with a high near 80. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 65. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs are expected to stay in the low 80s for much of the week, rising into the upper 80s at the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1692 Giles Corey is pressed to death for standing mute and refusing to answer charges of witchcraft brought against him. He is the only person in America to have suffered this punishment.
- 1777 American forces under Gen. Horatio Gates meet British troops led by Gen. John Burgoyne at Saratoga Springs, NY.
- 1863 In Georgia, the two-day Battle of Chickamauga begins as Union troops under George Thomas clash with Confederates under Nathan Bedford Forrest.
- 1904 Birth of Bergen Evans, educator and author who wrote Dictionary of Contemporary American Usage.
- 1918 American troops of the Allied North Russia Expeditionary Force receive their baptism of fire near the town of Seltso against Soviet forces.
- 1927 Birth of Helen Carter, singer, member of the pioneering all-female country group Mother Maybelle and the Carter Sisters.
- 1928 Birth of Adam West, actor (Batman in campy Batman TV series).
- 1957 First underground nuclear test takes place in Nevada.
- 1982 The first documented emoticons, 🙂 and :-(, posted on Carnegie Mellon University Bulletin Board System by Scott Fahlman.
- 1985 Parents Music Resource Center formed by Tipper Gore (wife of then-Senator Al Gore) and other political wives lobby for Parental Advisory stickers on music packaging.