Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, September 23, 2022:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 88. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 68. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to continue to rise over the week, peaking in the mid-90s on Tuesday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1561 Philip II of Spain gives orders to halt colonizing efforts in Florida.
- 1667 Slaves in Virginia are banned from obtaining their freedom by converting to Christianity.
- 1779 The American navy under John Paul Jones, commanding from Bonhomme Richard, defeats and captures the British man-of-war Serapis.
- 1838 Birth of Victoria Claflin Woodhull, the first woman presidential candidate (1872) in the United States.
- 1805 Lieutenant Zebulon Pike pays $2,000 to buy from the Sioux a 9-square-mile tract at the mouth of the Minnesota River that will be used to establish a military post, Fort Snelling.
- 1806 The Lewis and Clark Expedition arrives back in St. Louis just over three years after its departure.
- 1864 Confederate and Union forces clash at Mount Jackson, Front Royal and Woodstock in Virginia during the Valley campaign.
- 1911 The Second International Aviation Meet opens in New York.
- 1912 Mack Sennett’s first “Keystone Cop” film debuts, Cohen Collects a Debt.
- 1926 Birth of John Coltrane, influential jazz saxophonist.
- 1930 Birth of Ray Charles, rhythm ‘n’ blues piano player and singer.
- 1945 The first American dies in Vietnam during the fall of Saigon to French forces.
- 1952 Richard Nixon responds to charges of a secret slush fund during his ‘Checkers Speech.’
- 1954 East German police arrest 400 citizens as U.S. spies.
- 2002 The first public version of Mozilla Firefox browser released; originally called Phoenix 0.1 its name was changed due to trademark issues with Phoenix Technologies.