Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, October 23, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 72. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Mostly clear, with a low around 55. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable.
Highs are expected to remain in the 70s into the new week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1694 American colonial forces led by Sir William Phips, fail in their attempt to seize Quebec.
- 1783 Virginia emancipates slaves who fought for independence during the Revolutionary War.
- 1861 President Abraham Lincoln suspends the writ of habeas corpus in Washington, D.C. for all military-related cases.
- 1869 Birth of John Heisman, American college football coach for whom the Heisman Trophy is named.
- 1918 President Wilson feels satisfied that the Germans are accepting his armistice terms and agrees to transmit their request for an armistice to the Allies. The Germans have agreed to suspend submarine warfare, cease inhumane practices such as the use of poison gas, and withdraw troops back into Germany.
- 1925 Birth of Johnny Carson, American television personality who hosted the Tonight Show.
- 1929 The first transcontinental air service begins from New York to Los Angeles.
- 1942 The Western Task Force, destined for North Africa, departs from Hampton Roads, Virginia.
- 1983 A truck filled with explosives, driven by a Muslim terrorist, crashes into the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut, Lebanon. The bomb kills 237 Marines and injures 80. Almost simultaneously, a similar incident occurs at French military headquarters, where 58 die and 15 are injured.