Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, November 4, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 69. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 52. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south after midnight.
High temperatures are forecast to remain in the upper 60s to low 70s for the rest of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1791 General Arthur St. Clair, governor of Northwest Territory, is badly defeated by a large Indian army near Fort Wayne.
- 1798 Congress agrees to pay a yearly tribute to Tripoli, considering it the only way to protect U.S. shipping.
- 1842 Abraham Lincoln marries Mary Todd in Springfield, Ill.
- 1863 From the main Confederate Army at Chattanooga, Tennessee, Lt. Gen. James Longstreet’s troops are sent northeast to besiege Knoxville.
- 1879 Birth of Will Rogers, American actor and writer.
- 1916 Birth of Ruth Handler, businesswoman, toy designer who co-founded Mattel with her husband and created the Barbie doll.
- 1916 Birth of Walter Cronkite, reporter and news anchor for CBS News; dubbed “The Most Trusted Man in America.”
- 1916 Birth of John Basilone, US Marine who received the Medal of Honor for his actions in the Pacific Theater of World War II.
- 1922 The U.S. Postmaster General orders all homes to get mailboxes or relinquish delivery of mail.
- 1923 Birth of Eugene Sledge, US Marine, famous for his memoir of the fighting in the Pacific Theater, With the Old Breed.
- 1924 Nellie Tayloe Ross and Miriam Ferguson are elected first and second women governors (Wyoming and Texas).
- 1924 Calvin Coolidge is elected 30th president of the United States.
- 1946 Birth of Laura Welch Bush, wife of US President George W. Bush, she served as First Lady from 2001 to 2009; she used her position to champion education and literacy.
- 1952 General Dwight D. Eisenhower is elected 34th president of the United States.
- 1979 At the American Embassy in Teheran, Iran, 90 people, including 63 Americans, are taken hostage by militant student followers of Ayatollah Khomeini. The students demand the return of Shah Mohammad Reza Pablavi, who is undergoing medical treatment in New York City.
- 1980 Ronald Reagan is elected the 40th president of the United States.
- 1992 Carol Moseley Braun becomes the first African American woman to be elected to the U.S. Senate.
- 2008 Senator Barack Obama of Illinois elected 44th president of the United States, the first African American to hold that position.