Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, November 16, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 76. Calm wind.
Clear, with a low around 46. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming north after midnight.
Highs are expected to remain 70s until the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1798 British seamen board the U.S. frigate Baltimore and impress a number of crewmen as alleged deserters, a practice that contributed to the War of 1812.
- 1813 The British announce a blockade of Long Island Sound, leaving only the New England coast open to shipping.
- 1821 Trader William Becknell reaches Santa Fe, N.M., on the route that will become known as the Santa Fe Trail.
- 1846 General Zachary Taylor takes Saltillo, Mexico.
- 1864 Union General William T. Sherman departs Atlanta and begins his “March to the Sea.”
- 1873 Birth of W.C. Handy, father of the blues, famous for “St. Louis Blues.”
- 1889 Birth of George S. Kaufman, American playwright and collaborator with Moss Hart (You Can’t Take it With You , The Man Who Came to Dinner).
- 1902 A cartoon appears in the Washington Star, prompting the Teddy Bear Craze, after President Teddy Roosevelt refused to kill a captive bear tied up for him to shoot during a hunting trip to Mississippi.
- 1907 The Indian and Oklahoma territories are unified to make Oklahoma, which becomes the 46th state.
- 1920 Metered mail is born in Stamford, Connecticut with the first Pitney Bowes postage meter.
- 1945 Eighty-eight German scientists, holding Nazi secrets, arrive in the United States.
- 1948 President Harry S Truman rejects four-power talks on Berlin until the blockade is removed.
- 1953 The United States joins in the condemnation of Israel for its raid on Jordan.
- 1960 After the integration of two all-white schools, 2,000 whites riot in the streets of New Orleans.
- 1965 In the last day of the fighting at Landing Zone X-Ray, regiments of the U.S. 1st Cavalry Division repulse NVA forces in the Ia Drang Valley.
- 1967 U.S. planes hit Haiphong shipyard in North Vietnam for the first time.
- 1979 American Airlines is fined $500,000 for improper DC-10 maintenance.
- 1982 The space shuttle Columbia completes its first operational flight.