Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, November 23, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 72. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest in the afternoon.
Clear, with a low around 52. South wind around 5 mph becoming west after midnight.
High temperatures are forecast to rise into the low 80s over Thanksgiving before dropping sharply over the weekend, with a slight chance of showers early next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1785 John Hancock is elected president of the Continental Congress for the second time.
- 1804 Birth of Franklin Pierce, hero of the American war with Mexico and 14th president of the United States.
- 1863 Union forces win the Battle of Orchard Knob, Tennessee.
- 1863 The Battle of Chattanooga, one of the most decisive battles of the American Civil War, begins (also in Tennessee).
- 1878 Birth of Ernest King, commander-in-chief of the U.S. fleet who designed the United States’ winning strategy in World War II.
- 1887 Birth of Boris Karloff, film actor most famous for his role as the monster in the movie Frankenstein.
- 1888 Birth of Adolph Arthur “Harpo” Marx, American comedian, one of the Marx brothers.
- 1903 Italian tenor Enrico Caruso makes his American debut in a Metropolitan Opera production of Verdi’s Rigoletto.
- 1909 The Wright brothers form a million-dollar corporation for the commercial manufacture of their airplanes.
- 1921 President Warren G. Harding signs the Willis Campell Act, better known as the anti-beer bill. It forbids doctors to prescribe beer or liquor for medicinal purposes.
- 1933 President Franklin D. Roosevelt recalls the American ambassador from Havana, Cuba, and urges stability in the island nation.
- 1934 The United States and Great Britain agree on a 5-5-3 naval ratio, with both countries allowed to build five million tons of naval ships while Japan can only build three. Japan will denounce the treaty.
- 1936 The United States abandons the American embassy in Madrid, Spain, which is engulfed by civil war.
- 1941 U.S. troops move into Dutch Guiana to guard the bauxite mines.
- 1942 The film Casablanca premieres in New York City.
- 1943 Birth of Andrew Goodman, civil rights activist; murdered by Ku Klux Klan in 1964 near Philadelphia, Miss.
- 1943 U.S. Marines declare the island of Tarawa secure.
- 1945 Wartime meat and butter rationing ends in the United States.
- 1968 Four men hijack an American plane, with 87 passengers, from Miami to Cuba.
- 1981 US Pres. Ronald Reagan signs top secret directive giving the CIA authority to recruit and support Contra rebels in Nicaragua.
- 1990 The first all-woman expedition to South Pole sets off from Antarctica on the part of a 70-day trip; the group includes 12 Russians, 3 Americans and 1 Japanese.
- 1992 The first Smartphone, IBM Simon, introduced at COMDEX in Las Vegas, Nevada.