Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, November 24, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 78. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph.
Clear, with a low around 53. Calm wind becoming north around 5 mph after midnight.
High temperatures are forecast to drop sharply over the weekend, with a slight chance of showers early next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1784 Birth of Zachary Taylor, general during the Mexican War, 12th President of the United States.
- 1863 In the Battle Above the Clouds, Union Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker’s forces take Lookout Mountain, near Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- 1864 Kit Carson and his 1st Cavalry, New Mexico Volunteers, attack a camp of Kiowa Indians in the First Battle of Adobe Walls.
- 1874 Joseph Glidden receives a patent for barbed wire.
- 1902 The first Congress of Professional Photographers convenes in Paris.
- 1925 Birth of William F. Buckley, Jr., journalist, founder of National Review.
- 1927 Federal officials battle 1,200 inmates after prisoners in Folsom Prison revolt.
- 1938 Mexico seizes oil land adjacent to Texas.
- 1944 American B-29s flying from Saipan bomb Tokyo.
- 1961 The United Nations adopts bans on nuclear arms over American protests.
- 1963 Jack Ruby fatally shoots the accused assassin of President Kennedy, Lee Harvey Oswald, in the garage of the Dallas Police Department.
- 1979 The United States admits that thousands of troops in Vietnam were exposed to the toxic Agent Orange.
- 1992 US Congress passes the Brady Bill requiring a 5-day waiting period for handgun sales; the bill is named for Pres. Ronald Reagan’s press secretary who was left partially paralyzed by a bullet during an assassination attempt on Reagan.