Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, November 26, 2022:
Sunny, with a high near 70. South wind around 5 mph.
Patchy fog after 4am. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 49. Southeast wind around 5 mph.
Highs are expected to drop into the lower 60s and remain there for the coming week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1774 A congress of colonial leaders criticizes British influence in the colonies and affirms their right to “Life, liberty and property.”
- 1789 George Washington proclaims this a National Thanksgiving Day in honor of the new Constitution. This date was later used to set the date for Thanksgiving.
- 1825 The Kappa Alpha Society, the second American college Greek-letter fraternity, is founded.
- 1863 The first National Thanksgiving is celebrated.
- 1876 Birth of Willis Haviland Carrier, inventor of the first air conditioning system to control both temperature and humidity.
- 1894 Birth of Norbert Weiner, American mathematician, considered the father of automation.
- 1901 The Hope diamond is brought to New York.
- 1912 Birth of Eric Sevareid, American broadcast journalist for CBS News.
- 1922 Birth of Charles M. Shultz, American cartoonist who created “Peanuts” starring Charlie Brown.
- 1941 The Japanese fleet departs from the Kuril Islands en route to its attack on Pearl Harbor.
- 1957 President Eisenhower suffers a minor stroke.
- 1975 Lynette “Squeaky” Fromme is found guilty of an attempt on President Gerald Ford’s life.
- 2000 Republican candidate George W. Bush is certified the winner of Florida’s electoral votes, giving him enough electoral votes to defeat Democrat Al Gore Jr. for the US presidency, despite losing the popular vote.