Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, January 7, 2023:
Partly sunny, with a high near 65. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the morning.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm.
A chance of rain will be possible early next week. Otherwise, partly to mostly sunny skies.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1718 Birth of Israel Putnam, American Revolutionary War hero.
- 1785 Frenchman Jean-Pierre Blanchard and American Dr. John Jeffries make the first crossing of the English Channel in a hydrogen balloon.
- 1800 Birth of Millard Fillmore, 13th President of the United States.
- 1865 Cheyenne and Sioux warriors attack Julesburg, Colo., in retaliation for the Sand Creek Massacre.
- 1901 New York stock exchange trading exceeds two million shares for the first time in history.
- 1944 The U.S. Air Force announces the production of the first jet-fighter, Bell P-59 Airacomet.
- 1945 U.S. air ace Major Thomas B. McGuire, Jr. is killed in the Pacific.
- 1955 Marian Anderson becomes the first African American to sing at the Metropolitan Opera House.
- 1980 US President Jimmy Carter signs legislation providing $1.5 billion in loans to salvage Chrysler Corporation.
- 1999 The impeachment trial of US President Bill Clinton opens in the US Senate.