Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, January 16, 2023:
Rain likely before 10am, then a chance of showers after 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 61. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a low around 45. West wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Rain is expected through Monday night, followed by mostly sunny skies through the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1757 Birth of Samuel McIntire, architect of Salem, Massachusetts.
- 1786 The Council of Virginia guarantees religious freedom.
- 1821 Birth of John C. Breckinridge, 14th U.S. Vice President, Confederate Secretary of War.
- 1847 John C. Fremont, the famed “Pathfinder” of Western exploration, is appointed governor of California.
- 1865 General William T. Sherman begins a march through the Carolinas.
- 1900 The U.S. Senate recognizes the Anglo-German Treaty of 1899 by which the UK renounced its rights to the Samoan Islands.
- 1909 Birth of Ethel Merman, U.S. singer and actress, the “Queen of Broadway.”
- 1933 Birth of Susan Sontag, American essayist and novelist (The Style of Radical Will, Illness as a Metaphor).
- 1939 Franklin D. Roosevelt asks for an extension of the Social Security Act to include more women and children.
- 1944 Eisenhower assumes supreme command of the Allied Expeditionary Force in Europe.
- 1945 The U.S. First and Third armies link up at Houffalize, effectively ending the Battle of the Bulge.
- 1965 Eighteen are arrested in Mississippi for the murder of three civil rights workers.
- 1991 The Persian Gulf War begins. The massive U.S.-led offensive against Iraq — Operation Desert Storm — ends on February 28, 1991, when President George Bush declares a cease-fire, and Iraq pledges to honor future coalition and U.N. peace terms.