Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, January 19, 2023:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 60. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 41. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east after midnight.
Sunny skies with highs in the low 60s are expected for the next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1807 Birth of Robert E. Lee, Confederate general during the American Civil War.
- 1809 Birth of Edgar Allan Poe, American author and poet (“Fall of the House of Usher,” “The Tell-Tale Heart,” “The Raven,” “Annabel Lee.”)
- 1847 New Mexico Governor Charles Bent is slain by Pueblo Indians in Taos.
- 1861 Georgia secedes from the Union.
- 1919 Birth of John H. Johnson, editor and publisher of Ebony and Jet magazines.
- 1931 The Wickersham Committee issues a report asking for revisions in the dry law, but no repeal.
- 1937 Howard Hughes flies from Los Angeles to New York in seven hours and 22 minutes.
- 1968 Cambodia charges that the United States and South Vietnam have crossed the border and killed three Cambodians.
- 1981 The United States and Iran sign an accord on a hostage release in Algiers.