Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, January 21, 2023:
Sunny, with a high near 66. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Clear, with a low around 40. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph.
Sunny skies with highs in the 60s are expected for the next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1648 In Maryland, the first woman lawyer in the colonies, Margaret Brent, is denied a vote in the Maryland Assembly.
- 1737 Birth of Ethan Allen, American Revolutionary commander.
- 1785 Chippewa, Delaware, Ottawa and Wyandot Indians sign the treaty of Fort McIntosh, ceding present-day Ohio to the United States.
- 1824 Birth of Thomas “Stonewall” Jackson, Confederate General.
- 1910 Japan rejects the American proposal to neutralize ownership of the Manchurian Railway.
- 1919 The German Krupp plant begins producing guns under the U.S. armistice terms.
- 1921 J.D. Rockefeller pledges $1 million for the relief of Europe’s destitute.
- 1941 The United States lifts the ban on selling arms to the Soviet Union.
- 1964 Carl T. Rowan is named the director of the United States Information Agency (USIA).
- 1968 In Vietnam, the Siege of Khe Sanh begins as North Vietnamese units surround U.S. Marines based on the hilltop headquarters.
- 1974 The U.S. Supreme Court decides that pregnant teachers can no longer be forced to take long leaves of absence.
- 1977 President Carter urges 65 degrees as the maximum heat in homes to ease the energy crisis.
- 1993 Congressman Mike Espy of Mississippi is confirmed as Secretary of the Department of Agriculture.