Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, January 24, 2023:
Sunny, with a high near 66. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 41. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Highs are expected to peak near 70 degrees midweek before dropping back into the lower 60s, with a slight chance of rain early next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1639 Representatives from three Connecticut towns band together to write the Fundamental Orders, the first constitution in the New World.
- 1848 Gold is discovered by James Wilson Marshall at his partner Johann August Sutter’s sawmill on the South Fork of the American River, near Coloma, California.
- 1862 Birth of Edith Wharton, U.S. novelist who wrote Ethan Frome and The Age of Innocence.
- 1903 U.S. Secretary of State John Hay and British Ambassador Herbert create a joint commission to establish the Alaskan border.
- 1911 U.S. Cavalry is sent to preserve the neutrality of the Rio Grande during the Mexican Civil War.
- 1980 In a rebuff to the Soviets, the U.S. announces intentions to sell arms to China.
- 1982 A draft of Air Force history reports that the U.S. secretly sprayed herbicides on Laos during the Vietnam War.