Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, January 26, 2023:
Sunny, with a high near 70. Breezy, with a northeast wind 15 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.
Clear, with a low around 44. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm after midnight.
High temperatures are expected to drop sharply at the end of the week, with a slight chance of rain early next week as a storm system passes through the region.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1826 Birth of Julia Dent Grant, wife of Ulysses S. Grant.
- 1861 Louisiana secedes from the Union.
- 1863 President Lincoln names General Joseph Hooker to replace Burnside as commander of the Army of the Potomac.
- 1875 Pinkerton agents, hunting Jesse James, kill his 18-year-old half-brother and seriously injure his mother with a bomb.
- 1880 Birth of Douglas MacArthur, U.S. general in World War I, World War II and Korea.
- 1893 Birth of Bessie Coleman, pioneer aviator.
- 1942 American Expeditionary Force lands in Northern Ireland.
- 1969 California is declared a disaster area after two days of flooding and mud slides.
- 2005 Condoleezza Rice is appointed to the post of secretary of state. The post makes her the highest ranking African-American woman ever to serve in a U.S. presidential cabinet.