Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, January 27, 2023:
Sunny, with a high near 69. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 45. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph after midnight.
High temperatures are expected to drop sharply at the end of the week, with a slight chance of rain early next week as a storm system passes through the region.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1825 Congress approves Indian Territory (present-day Oklahoma), clearing the way for forced relocation of the Eastern Indians on the “Trail of Tears.”
- 1850 Birth of Samuel Gompers, first President of American Federation of Labor.
- 1862 President Abraham Lincoln issues General War Order No. 1, setting in motion the Union armies.
- 1900 Birth of Hyman Rickover, American admiral who is considered the “Father of the Atomic Submarine.”
- 1916 President Woodrow Wilson opens preparedness program.
- 1939 President Franklin D. Roosevelt approves the sale of U.S. war planes to France.
- 1941 The United States and Great Britain begin high-level military talks in Washington.
- 1943 The first U.S. raids on the Reich blast Wilhelmshaven base and Emden.
- 1959 NASA selects 110 candidates for the first U.S. space flight.
- 1967 Three astronauts are killed in a flash fire that engulfed their Apollo 1 spacecraft.
- 1973 A cease fire in Vietnam is called as the Paris peace accords are signed by the United States and North Vietnam.
- 1978 The State Supreme Court rules that Nazis can display the Swastika in a march in Skokie, Illinois.