Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, January 28, 2023:
Sunny, with a high near 65. East wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.
Increasing clouds, with a low around 49. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Daytime temperatures are expected to drop well below average for a couple days before returning to the mid-60s, with a chance of showers early next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1912 Birth of Jackson Pollock, influential abstract expressionist painter.
- 1915 The German navy attacks the U.S. freighter William P. Frye, loaded with wheat for Britain.
- 1915 The U.S. Coast Guard is founded to fight contraband trade and aid distressed vessels at sea.
- 1921 Albert Einstein startles Berlin by suggesting the possibility of measuring the universe.
- 1936 A fellow prison inmate slashes infamous kidnapper, Richard Loeb, to death.
- 1955 The U.S. Congress passes a bill allowing mobilization of troops if China should attack Taiwan.
- 1964 The Soviets down a U.S. jet over East Germany, killing three.
- 1986 The space shuttle Challenger explodes just after liftoff.