Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, February 2, 2023:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 69. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 49. Northwest wind around 5 mph.
Mostly sunny skies and highs in the 60s to low 70s are expected through the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1571 All eight members of a Jesuit mission in Virginia are murdered by Indians who pretended to be their friends.
- 1865 Confederate raider William Quantrill and his bushwackers rob citizens, burn a railroad depot and steal horses from Midway, Kentucky.
- 1870 The press agencies Havas, Reuter and Wolff sign an agreement whereby between them they can cover the whole world.
- 1876 The National Baseball League is founded with eight teams.
- 1895 Birth of George Halas, National Football League co-founder.
- 1900 Six cities, Boston, Detroit, Milwaukee, Baltimore, Chicago and St. Louis agree to form baseball’s American League.
- 1916 U.S. Senate votes independence for Philippines, effective in 1921.
- 1921 Airmail service opens between New York and San Francisco. Airmail’s First Day.
- 1948 The United States and Italy sign a pact of friendship, commerce and navigation.
- 1959 Arlington and Norfolk, Va., peacefully desegregate public schools.
- 1960 The U.S. Senate approves 23rd Amendment calling for a ban on the poll tax.
- 1978 U.S. Jewish leaders bar a meeting with Egypt’s Anwar Sadat.
- 1987 Largest steel strike in American history, in progress since August, ends.