Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, February 3, 2023:
Partly sunny, with a high near 71. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 46. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening.
Partly to mostly sunny skies and highs in the upper 60s to low 70s are expected through the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1690 The first paper money in America is issued in the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
- 1783 Spain recognizes United States’ independence.
- 1904 Colombian troops clash with U.S. Marines in Panama.
- 1908 The U.S. Supreme Court rules that union-sponsored boycotts are illegal, and applies the Sherman Antitrust Act to labor as well as capital.
- 1912 New U.S. football rules are set: field shortened to 100 yards; touchdown counts six points instead of five; four downs are allowed instead of three; and the kickoff is moved from midfield to the 40 yd. line.
- 1917 A German submarine sinks the U.S. liner Housatonic off coast of Sicily. The United States severs diplomatic relations with Germany.
- 1927 President Calvin Coolidge signs a bill creating the Federal Radio Commission to regulate the airwaves.
- 1944 The United States shells the Japanese homeland for the first time at Kurile Islands.
- 1945 The month-long Battle of Manila begins.
- 1962 President John F. Kennedy bans all trade with Cuba.
- 1984 The Environmental Protection Agency orders a ban on the pesticide EDB for grain products.