Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, February 4, 2023:
Sunny, with a high near 71. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
A chance of showers after 10pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 51. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.
Highs are expected to rise well above normal, remaining in the low to mid 70s through the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1787 Shay’s Rebellion, an uprising of debt-ridden Massachusetts farmers against the new U.S. government, fails.
- 1889 Harry Longabaugh is released from Sundance Prison in Wyoming, thereby acquiring the famous nickname, “the Sundance Kid.”
- 1899 After an exchange of gunfire, fighting breaks out between American troops and Filipinos near Manila, sparking the Philippine-American War
- 1902 Birth of Charles Lindbergh, the first man to fly solo across the Atlantic.
- 1906 The New York Police Department begins fingerprint identification.
- 1909 California law segregates Caucasian and Japanese schoolchildren.
- 1913 Birth of Rosa Lee Parks, civil rights activist.
- 1921 Birth of Betty Friedan, writer, feminist, founded the National Organization of Women in 1966.
- 1932 Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt inaugurates the Winter Olympics at Lake Placid, N.Y.
- 1941 The United Service Organization (U.S.O.) is formed to cater to armed forces and defense industries.
- 1945 The Big Three, American, British and Soviet leaders, meet in Yalta to discuss the war aims.
- 1966 Senate Foreign Relations Committee begins televised hearings on the Vietnam War.
- 1974 Newspaper heiress Patty Hearst is kidnapped by the Symbionese Liberation Army, beginning one of the most bizarre cases in FBI history.
- 1986 The U.S. Post Office issues a commemorative stamp featuring Sojourner Truth.