Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, February 7, 2023:
Sunny, with a high near 71. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly clear, with a low around 46. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph after midnight.
Highs are expected to rise well above normal, peaking in the upper 70s on Thursday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1804 Birth of John Deere, farm equipment manufacturer
- 1818 The first successful U.S. educational magazine, Academician, begins publication in New York City.
- 1867 Birth of Laura Ingalls Wilder, author whose works were the basis for television’s Little House on the Prairie.
- 1882 American pugilist John L. Sullivan becomes the last of the bare-knuckle world heavyweight champions with his defeat of Patty Ryan in Mississippi City.
- 1926 Negro History Week, originated by Carter G. Woodson, is observed for the first time.
- 1928 The United States signs an arbitration treaty with France.
- 1931 Amelia Earhart weds George Putnam in Connecticut.
- 1950 The United States recognizes Vietnam under the leadership of Emperor Bao Dai, not Ho Chi Minh who is recognized by the Soviets.
- 1963 The Mona Lisa is put on display at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York.
- 1964 The British band The Beatles are greeted by 25,000 fans upon their arrival in the United States at JFK Airport.
- 1965 U.S. jets hit Dong Hoi guerrilla base in reprisal for the Viet Cong raids.
- 1968 North Vietnamese use 11 Soviet-built light tanks to overrun the U.S. Special Forces camp at Lang Vei at the end of an 18-hour long siege.