Weather in northwest Orange County for Thursday, February 9, 2023:
Sunny, with a high near 80. Calm wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Clear, with a low around 51. South wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Highs are forecast to drop sharply back to the 60s on Saturday, remaining in the 60s into next week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1773 Birth of William Henry Harrison, ninth U.S. President and the first to die in office.1799 The USS Constellation captures the French frigate L’Insurgente off the West Indies.
- 1814 Birth of Samuel Tilden, philanthropist.
- 1819 Birth of Lydia E. Pinkham, patent-medicine maker and entrepeneur.
- 1825 The House of Representatives elects John Quincy Adams, sixth U.S. President.
- 1861 Jefferson F. Davis is elected president of the Confederate States of America.
- 1864 Union General George Armstrong Custer marries Elizabeth Bacon in their hometown of Monroe, Mich.
- 1909 Birth of Dean Rusk, Secretary of State under presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson.
- 1922 The U.S. Congress establishes the World War Foreign Debt Commission.
- 1951 Actress Greta Garbo gets U.S. citizenship.
- 1964 The U.S. embassy in Moscow is stoned by Chinese and Vietnamese students.