Weather in northwest Orange County for Sunday, February 12, 2023:
A slight chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 62. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 46. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.
Highs are forecast to remain in the 60s through the week, with a chance of showers at the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1775 Birth of Louisa Adams, wife of John Quincy Adams
- 1793 The first fugitive slave law, requiring the return of escaped slaves, is passed.
- 1809 Birth of Abraham Lincoln, 16th U.S. President of the United State (1861-1865).
- 1836 Mexican General Santa Anna crosses the Rio Grande en route to the Alamo.
- 1880 Birth of John L. Lewis, American labor leader.
- 1893 Birth of Omar Bradley, U.S. Army general during World War II.
- 1909 The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) is formed.
- 1924 George Gershwin’s groundbreaking symphonic jazz composition Rhapsody in Blue premieres with Gershwin himself playing the piano with Paul Whiteman’s orchestra.
- 1929 Charles Lindbergh announces his engagement to Anne Morrow.
- 1935 The Macon, the last U.S. Navy dirigible, crashes off the coast of California, killing two people.
- 1938 Japan refuses to reveal naval data requested by the U.S. and Britain.
- 1944 Wendell Wilkie enters the American presidential race against Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1972 Senator Edward Kennedy advocates amnesty for Vietnam draft resisters.
- 1974 The Symbionese Liberation Army asks the Hearst family for $230 million in food for the poor.
- 1980 The Lake Placid Winter Olympics open in New York.
- 1987 A Court in Texas upholds $8.5 billion of a fine imposed on Texaco for the illegal takeover of Getty Oil.
- 1999 The U.S. Senate fails to pass two articles of impeachment against President Bill Clinton. He had been accused of perjury and obstruction of justice by the House of Representatives.