Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, February 14, 2023:
A slight chance of showers before 10am. Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a high near 62. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northwest 15 to 20 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Mostly clear, with a low around 40. Breezy, with a northwest wind 20 to 25 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph.
Highs are forecast to remain in the 60s through the week, with a chance of showers at the end of the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1760 Birth of Richard Allen, first black ordained by a Methodist-Episcopal church.
- 1779 American Loyalists are defeated by Patriots at Kettle Creek, Ga.
- 1817 Birth of Frederick Douglass, slave, and later, activist and author.
- 1848 James Polk becomes the first U.S. President to be photographed in office by Matthew Brady.
- 1859 Oregon is admitted as the thirty-third state.
- 1859 Birth of George Washington Gale Ferris, inventor of the Ferris Wheel.
- 1870 Esther Morris becomes the world’s first female justice of the peace.
- 1876 Rival inventors Elisha Gray and Alexander Graham Bell both apply for patents for the telephone.
- 1894 Birth of Jack Benny, comedian, radio and television performer, and violinist.
- 1904 The “Missouri Kid” is captured in Kansas.
- 1912 Arizona becomes the 48th state in the Union.
- 1915 Kaiser Wilhelm II invites the U.S. Ambassador to Berlin in order to confer on the war.
- 1920 The League of Women Voters is formed in Chicago in celebration of the imminent ratification of the 19th Amendment, giving women the right to vote.
- 1924 Thomas Watson founds International Business Machines Corp.
- 1929 Chicago gang war between Al Capone and George “Bugs” Moran culminates with several Moran confederates being gunned down in the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre.
- 1955 A Jewish couple loses their fight to adopt Catholic twins as the U.S. Supreme Court refuses to rule on state law.
- 1957 The Georgia state senate outlaws interracial athletics.
- 1965 Malcolm X’s home is firebombed. No injuries are reported.
- 1973 The United States and Hanoi set up a group to channel reconstruction aid directly to Hanoi.
- 1979 Armed guerrillas attack the U.S. embassy in Tehran.