Weather in northwest Orange County for Friday, February 17, 2023:
Mostly cloudy, with a high near 70. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 46. Calm wind becoming southeast around 5 mph after midnight.
Highs are forecast to remain in the 60s through the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1774 Birth of Raphaelle Peale, U.S. painter
- 1801 The House of Representatives breaks an electoral college tie and chooses Thomas Jefferson over Aaron Burr.
- 1864 The Confederate submarine Hunley sinks the USS Housatonic in Charleston Harbor, South Carolina.
- 1865 The South Carolina capital city, Columbia, is destroyed by fire as Major General William Tecumseh Sherman marches through.
- 1874 Birth of Thomas J. Watson Sr., U.S. industrialist.
- 1902 Birth of Marian Anderson, American singer.
- 1908 Birth of Walter Lanier “Red” Barber, baseball announcer for the Cincinnati Reds, the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Yankees.
- 1909 Apache chief Geronimo dies of pneumonia at age 80, while still in captivity at Fort Sill, Oklahoma.
- 1925 The first issue of Harold Ross’ magazine, The New Yorker, hits the stands, selling for 15 cents a copy.
- 1935 Thirty-one prisoners escape an Oklahoma prison after murdering a guard.
- 1944 U.S forces land on Eniwetok atoll in the South Pacific.
- 1945 Gen. MacArthur’s troops land on Corregidor in the Philippines.
- 1959 The United States launches its first weather station in space, Vanguard II.
- 1960 Martin Luther King Jr. is arrested in the Alabama bus boycott.
- 1973 President Richard Nixon names Patrick Gray director of the FBI.