Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, February 18, 2023:
Mostly sunny, with a high near 70. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon.
Partly cloudy, with a low around 45. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph after midnight.
Highs are forecast to remain in the 60s through the week.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1688 Quakers in Germantown, Pa. adopt the first formal antislavery resolution in America.
- 1795 Birth of George Peabody, U.S. merchant and philanthropist.
- 1848 Birth of Louis Comfort Tiffany, glassware artist and designer.
- 1861 Jefferson F. Davis is inaugurated as the Confederacy’s provisional president at a ceremony held in Montgomery, Ala.
- 1862 Birth of Charles M. Schwab, “Boy Wonder” of the steel industry. President of both U.S. Steel and Bethlehem Steel.
- 1865 Union troops force the Confederates to abandon Fort Anderson, N.C.
- 1878 The bitter and bloody Lincoln County War begins with the murder of Billy the Kid’s mentor, Englishman rancher John Tunstall.
- 1885 The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain, is published in New York.
- 1892 Birth of Wendell Wilkie, Presidential candidate against President Franklin Roosevelt.
- 1939 The Golden Gate Exposition opens in San Francisco.
- 1944 The U.S. Army and Marines invade Eniwetok Atoll in the Pacific.
- 1945 U.S. Marines storm ashore at Iwo Jima.
- 1962 Robert F. Kennedy says that U.S. troops will stay in Vietnam until Communism is defeated.
- 1964 The United States cuts military aid to five nations in reprisal for having trade relations with Cuba.
- 1967 The National Art Gallery in Washington agrees to buy a Da Vinci for a record $5 million.
- 1968 Three U.S. pilots that were held by the Vietnamese arrive in Washington.
- 1972 The California Supreme Court voids the death penalty.
- 1974 Randolph Hearst is to give $2 million in free food for the poor in order to open talks for his daughter Patty.