Weather in northwest Orange County for Monday, February 20, 2023:
Sunny, with a high near 71. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 20 mph.
Patchy fog after 4am. Otherwise, mostly clear, with a low around 48. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming light and variable.
Highs are to drop sharply around midweek accompanying a weather system moving through the region.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1725 New Hampshire militiamen partake in the first recorded scalping of Indians by whites in North America.
- 1726 Birth of William Prescott, U.S. Revolutionary War hero at the Battle of Bunker Hill.
- 1792 The U.S. Postal Service is created.
- 1809 The U.S. Supreme Court rules that the power of the federal government is greater than any individual state in the Union.
- 1864 Confederate troops defeat a Union army sent to bring Florida into the union at the Battle of Olustee, Fla.
- 1898 Birth of Jimmy Yancey, American blues pianist.
- 1900 J.F. Pickering patents his airship.
- 1902 Birth of Ansel Adams, American landscape photographer, especially of western wilderness and mountain panoramas.
- 1924 Birth of Gloria Vanderbilt, fashion designer
- 1927 Birth of Sidney Poitier, American actor, first African American male to win an Oscar (Lillies of the Field).
- 1941 The United States sends war planes to the Pacific.
- 1942 Lt. Edward O’Hare downs five out of nine Japanese bombers that are attacking the carrier Lexington.
- 1943 German troops of the Afrika Korps break through the Kasserine Pass, defeating U.S. forces.
- 1954 The Ford Foundation gives a $25 million grant to the Fund for Advancement of Education.
- 1959 The FCC applies the equal time rule to TV newscasts of political candidates.
- 1962 Mercury astronaut John Glenn becomes the first American to orbit the Earth.
- 1965 Ranger 8 hits the moon and sends back 7,000 photos to the United States.
- 1982 Carnegie Hall in New York begins $20 million in renovations.