Weather in northwest Orange County for Tuesday, February 21, 2023:
Patchy fog before 11am. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 64. South wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 42. Breezy, with a south wind 10 to 15 mph becoming west 20 to 25 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph.
Highs are to drop sharply accompanying a weather system moving through the region, with a chance of rain starting late Wednesday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1775 As troubles with Great Britain increase, colonists in Massachusetts vote to buy military equipment for 15,000 men.
- 1828 The first issue of the Cherokee Phoenix is printed, both in English and in the newly invented Cherokee alphabet.
- 1862 The Texas Rangers win a Confederate victory in the Battle of Val Verde, New Mexico.
- 1878 The world’s first telephone book is issued by the New Haven Connecticut Telephone Company containing the names of its 50 subscribers.
- 1885 The Washington Monument is dedicated in Washington, D.C.
- 1920 Birth of Robert S. Johnson, American World War II fighter ace who shot down 27 German planes.
- 1951 The U.S. Eighth Army launches Operation Killer, a counterattack to push Chinese forces north of the Han River in Korea.
- 1956 A grand jury in Montgomery, Alabama indicts 115 in a Negro bus boycott.
- 1972 Richard Nixon arrives in Beijing, China, becoming the first U.S. president to visit a country not diplomatically recognized by the U.S.
- 1974 A report claims that the use of defoliants by the U.S. has scarred Vietnam for a century.