Weather in northwest Orange County for Saturday, February 25, 2023:
Rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 54. South wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
Rain likely, mainly before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 40. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northwest after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Another weather system is expected to move through the region on Monday, bringing more rain through Wednesday.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1803 Chief Justice John Marshall, by refusing to rule on the case of Marbury vs. Madison, asserts the authority of the judicial branch.
- 1813 Off Guiana, the American sloop Hornet sinks the British sloop Peacock.
- 1836 Some 3,000 Mexicans launch an assault on the Alamo with its 182 Texan defenders.
- 1836 Birth of Winslow Homer, American painter.
- 1874 Birth of Honus Wagner, baseball shortstop known as “The Flying Dutchman.”
- 1885 Birth of Chester Nimitz, U.S. admiral who commanded naval forces in the Pacific during WWII.
- 1908 Japan officially agrees to restrict emigration to the U.S.
- 1912 The Jewish organization Hadassah is founded in New York City.
- 1914 Civil War soldier Joshua Chamberlain dies.
- 1916 A film version of Jules Verne’s 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea opens in New York.
- 1921 Herbert Hoover becomes Secretary of Commerce.
- 1928 The New Gallery of New York exhibits works of Archibald Motley, its first show to feature a black artist.
- 1944 Merrill’s Marauders, a specially trained group of American soldiers, begin their ground campaign against Japan into Burma.
- 1945 U.S. forces liberate prisoners of war in the Los Baños Prison in the Philippines.
- 1991 General Norman Schwarzkopf, commander of the coalition army, sends in ground forces during the Gulf War.