Weather in northwest Orange County for Wednesday, March 1, 2023:
Showers likely, mainly before 10am. Partly sunny, with a high near 54. Breezy, with a west wind 20 to 25 mph becoming northwest in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.
Patchy frost after midnight. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming clear, with a low around 36. Northwest wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 10 to 15 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph.
Mostly sunny skies are expected for the next week, with highs in the 60s.
Courtesy of HistoryNet:
- 1642 York, Maine becomes the first incorporated American city.
- 1692 Sarah Goode, Sarah Osborne and Tituba are arrested for the supposed practice of witchcraft in Salem, Mass.
- 1776 French minister Charles Gravier advises his Spanish counterpart to support the American rebels against the English.
- 1780 Pennsylvania becomes the first U.S. state to abolish slavery.
- 1803 Ohio becomes the 17th state to join the Union.
- 1875 Congress passes the Civil Rights Act, which is invalidated by the Supreme Court in 1883.
- 1912 Albert Berry completes the first in-flight parachute jump, from a Benoist plane over Kinlock Field in St. Louis, Missouri.
- 1914 Birth of Ralph Waldo Ellison, African-American author (Invisible Man).
- 1932 The Lindbergh baby is kidnapped from the Lindbergh home near Princeton, New Jersey.
- 1960 1,000 Black students pray and sing the national anthem on the steps of the old Confederate Capitol in Montgomery, Ala.
- 1968 Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara is replaced by Clark Clifford.
- 1969 Mickey Mantle announces his retirement from baseball.
- 1974 A grand jury indicts seven of President Nixon’s aides for the conspiracy on Watergate.
- 1985 The Pentagon accepts the theory that an atomic war would block the sun, causing a “nuclear winter.”